How to Pack Light on Your Next Trip
Traveling with excessive luggage can be expensive and cumbersome. Videos are popping up all over the Internet of girls packing for their vacations and cramming all their clothing into one carry one. Sometimes you get lucky and can wash clothes while your abroad but other times you have to pack an outfit for every single day. Whether you want to stick to one bag or just fit more into fewer bags, so you don’t go over the weight limit for check in, we’ve compiled a list of easy tips and tricks on how to pack light for all of your travel plans.
Tips to Travel Light:
- Limit the number of shoes you pack. Shoes can add significant weight to your suitcase. Wear your bulkiest shoes on the plane or tie your tennis shoes to your bag.
- Roll everything you pack. Rolling clothing can be a game changer.
- Add bulky items last, fold it once and then put it on top of everything else.
- Keep toiletries to a minimum.
- Buy packing cubes. They can help fit more into less space.
- Bring a “travel backpack” for overhead and “travel purse” for under the seat.
- Leave the heels at home if your destination is full of cobblestone roads.
- Wear layers when possible, sweaters over dresses which can also be worn separately for a whole new outfit.
- Pack light and go shopping when you arrive. Buy a small bag to check on your way home. Who doesn’t love shopping abroad?
- Bring minimalist makeup. Only pack the necessities.
- Avoid packing toiletries that you can buy overseas. Some hotels provide basic toiletries when you ask. Buy travel size if you have to buy before traveling.
- Put all toiletries in a Ziploc and throw it in your purse.
- Pack neutral colors that can be mixed and matched. Wear scarves for a pop of color.
- Plan outfits in advance rather than picking and choosing random outfits from your closet. Sometimes laying them out and physically seeing them can help you determine if you will wear the item.
- Pack clothes that don’t wrinkle easily.
- Consider letting your hair be natural and avoid packing bulky straighteners and hairdryers. Hotels often have hair dryers available.
- If the weather allows, wear sundresses. They weigh less.
- Depending on how far away you travel, you could consider mailing back some of your items if it will be cheaper than checking an additional bag.
- Stuff your socks and shoes to save space.
- Check the weather the day before you leave to ensure you have the appropriate weather-related items.
- Consider researching Capsule Wardrobe for vacations for basic mix and match piece inspiration.
- If you own a Longchamp, bring it folded up and use it to carry anything you buy while traveling home.
- Don’t be afraid to repeat outfits. No one knows what you wore yesterday. Handwash in a sink when washing machines are not available.
Every girl has their own travel style. If you feel the need to pack more, don’t stress about it. Do what makes the most sense for you and your travel plans. Consider where you will be traveling to, the season, whether you will be switching hotels/Airbnb, what type of places you will be visiting, etc.
YOU ARE THE PINEAPPLE Clothing Boutique selects every clothing item with travel in mind. Check out our favorite fashion travel collections and plan your next minimalist or non-minimalist vacation!
Have any of your own tips? Comment below!